Monday, May 14, 2007

Count up to Shavuot


With Shavuot a little more then a week away, I was invited to stay at my Rabbi's house for the Holiday. Normally I would be very appreciative and jump at accepting the offer, however this Shavuot marks my 20th Wedding anniversary. I haven't discussed this with my wife yet, but I kind of feel awkward being away from my wife on our 20th Anniversary. The little voice inside me is currently battling with my Pintele Yid (That little spark of yiddishkeit that is found in ever Jewish soul.) Right now they are battling over "doing the right thing". More accurately fighting over what exactly is the "right thing."

Do I stay home and Daven? OR
Stay with the Rabbi so I can walk to Shul?

I guess the obvious answer is not an option at all. My wife has "a thing" for sleeping over other people's houses that are not close relatives. So she wouldn't be up for joining me. Although my 8year old LOVES to stay at our Rabbi's house when we do regularly for Shabbat.

So... what to do... what to do....

Of course my Rabbi had an answer. (of Course! He's a Rabbi!) He suggested that we celebrate our Anniversary on the Hebrew date (which we should be doing anyway - I do for my Birthday, my wife still holds to her secular date). OK, that's even worse because our Anniversary would have been two days ago by the Hebrew calendar. His answer to that was a belated Anniversary card and a trip to www.ice.com. Yeah, I don't think that will work either.

So stay tuned as my Conscience battles it out with my Pinetele Yid to see how this turns out. On the one hand, I know my soul needs to be in Shul Davening with a Minyan. Davening at home (Which living out in the fringes of Galut I'm force to do many a Shabbat) doesn't really cut it for a Yom Tov. But on the other hand... It's the BIG 20. Then again, on the other hand... There is no other hand... IT'S SHAVUOT.. MATTAN TORAH!!!

Of course if I don't get healthy I'm not going anywhere. Been sick for almost a week now, and now both my 21month old and my 8 year old are under the weather. Argh...

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Being sick is perhaps G-d's way of saying STAY HOME if you want to keep your wife :)

Gruven Reuven said...

You maybe right Tamara... The Baby was up crying since 2am. Our eldest (also sick) got up at 3 to go downstairs and watch TV. They are all sleeping now. B"H. Today is a visit to the Doctor day for all.