Monday, April 23, 2007

Sefirah Compromise


During the period of time between Pesach and Shavout, we count the Omer each night. For more information on the Omer, please follow the following link

In addition; to remember the tragic death of 24,000 disciples of Rabbi Akiva who died in a plague in the weeks between Passover and Shavuot, the following mourning practices are observed during this period (sefirah).

1. Marriages and wedding celebrations are not performed during this time. (It is permitted, however, to become engaged to marry during this time.)
2. Getting a Hair Cut
3. Buying and wearing new clothing
4. Listening to music with instrumental accompaniment. Listening to Acapella music is permitted. It’s also permitted to listen to music if it’s your profession.

So, what does one do when faced with a 2 hour family car trip with a wife who is not holding to the same level of orthodox observance as you?

Simple! Compromise!

So my wife, 2 kids and I set out to “bubbe’s” house for her birthday party this Sunday. It’s an hour plus drive in each direction. It wasn’t two miles into the trip when the question of what to listen to came up. My wife and eldest son nixed the idea of Jewish Acapella music. “OK, how about a lecture from OU-Audio on Chagigah page 15 (Talmud)”, I inquired. That was shot down before I could finish the sentence..
So we made a deal.

My wife took out her Ipod, and we found something that I would hate. That way, I would still be holding to the “no celebration” aspect of the Sefirah “mourning practices”. So we got to listen to the music stylings of Taylor Hicks.

Not sure of the Halacha but, Problem Solved :-) Not only that… it was for the sake of Shalom H’Bayis. (Peace in the house)

3 comments:

Tamara said...

I say a fair compromise. The bottom line is your effort and conciousness as far as I'm concerened. But then again, I'm just a non-orthodox girl :)

lxr23g56 said...

LOL, thats funny!

Goldie Katsu said...

I love it! The truth is that the not listening to music is a minhag. Although we in Chabad hold strongly to minhag, it means that the requirement to not listen to music can be set aside for things like Shalom Bayit. But I love your compromise. And I can imagine their reactions to the "Lets listen to Gemara" LOL!