Thursday, June 07, 2007

Take a Penny, Give a LOT


I think one of my pet peeves is those "Give a penny, take a Penny" cups found at most registers. Yes, it's nice to not have to walk around with the $0.99 you just got back in your pocket. But consider this.... What if all those penny cups were replaced by tzedakah Pushkas (Charity boxes). Think what a difference we can make in this world.

Personally, I have a Colel Chabad Tzedakah box on my desk at work. (And one in almost every room of my house) When I come up from buying the limited selection of Kosher foods available to be from our company cafeteria, I put my change in the Pushka. About Every other month, I take a near full Pushka to our local bank (that doesn't charge for sorting/cashing your change) and give around $50-60 to Colel Chabad.

There are close to 5000 folks working for my employer. Could you imagine the impact we would all have if each one of us would set up their own tzedakah pushka? At $50 every two months multiplied by each employee, that would be in the neighborhood of $1.5 Million a year!!

Colel Chabad is an umbrella philanthropy supporting a network of soup kitchens, day care centers, dental and medical clinics, camp scholarships, senior centers, interest-free loans, immigrant absorption programs, and other social welfare projects throughout Israel, and more recently in the former Soviet Union.

Colel Chabad is the oldest continuously operating charity of its kind in Israel. It was founded in 5549 (1788 C.E.) by the first Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, and has been headed by each Lubavitcher Rebbe ever since.

To get your FREE Colel Chabad Puska, simply follow this link. Spiritually speaking, it can be one of the greatest things you can do today!

No comments: