Thursday, September 21, 2006

L'Shana Tova


Being frum and living on the Fringes of Galut always presents itself with many issues to work through. Food choices are limited; Lack of Eruv, not to mention a lack of “Community”, always tests an individual’s faith & determination.

I would say one of the most challenging aspects of living on the Fringe, is not being within walking distance of a Minyan. This is especially concerning during the Holidays.

While most of my davening is done at home and finding hospitality for Shabbos is always an option, The Holidays presents itself with a challenge in regards to preparation.

Between Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Shemini Azeret & Simchat Torah, I am looking to arrange accommodations for 7 days!

Fortunately I can rely on my pre-frum days when I used to follow the Grateful Dead from city to city. (The sin of my past life that now has me stuck out here in Galut) There were always rooms to book, extra tickets to find as well as “Crash” space to discover.

Ok, replace all that with Hotel rooms, Yom-Tov meals and Hospitality. Naturally, just like my Grateful Dead days, I’ve left some of the details to the last minute. I’m set for Rosh Hashanah. My family and I will be staying a mile down the street at a hotel. We will be having all our meals with the Rabbi and his family. Normally I stay with my Rabbi for Shabbos hospitality however during the holidays he tends to have more visitors coming down from the Holy City of Crown Heights.

Fortunately we have some time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to work at the details for Yom Kippur.

More to come…. May the holy merits of charity stand for you this Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur!

No comments: